Sticky Prune Pudding
This cake is moist, fluffy, and features delicious California Prunes. The prunes give the pudding a deep caramel flavour and colour, which pair so well with the warm salted toffee sauce and cold vanilla ice cream.
Prunes are so versatile. In addition to including them in desserts, you can toss them into salads, or just eating them on their own as a snack. Also, California Prunes are chock full of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber, which is such a win!
Recipe by: Vijaya Selvaraju, @vijayaselvaraju
- 1 cup pitted California Prunes
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- ¾ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup 35% cream
- ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp corn syrup
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and line the base of a 9X9 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Add prunes to a heat proof container and top with boiling water. Allow to soak for 15 minutes. Then puree until smooth.
- In another bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and kosher salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer or stand mixer, cream together butter with brown sugar until light and fluffy. Then add vanilla extract and egg and mix until well incorporated. Add pureed prunes and mix well. Add in flour mixture, mixing until just combined and no white streaks of flour can be seen.
- Spread batter into one even layer in the prepared pan. Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool slightly, unmold, and cut into 9 squares.
- For the toffee sauce: Add cream, brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, and sea salt to a medium saucepan. Cook on medium heat for 5-7 minutes until bubbly and thick. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Arrange 2 pieces of pudding on center of plate and top with a generous amount of toffee sauce. Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and drizzle more toffee sauce over the top. Serve immediately. Enjoy!