Crunchy Cabbage & California Prune Salad
Recipe by: foodbymaria
This delicious, crunchy red cabbage salad with a juicy, citrus dressing is refreshing, easy, and perfect for a summer BBQ. This cabbage salad has the added benefits of California Prunes and can be entirely customized based on your favourite salad ingredients, or what you have in the fridge.
For the salad
- 1 1/4 cups cooked quinoa
- 3 cups thinly sliced purple cabbage
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 10-12 dried California Prunes, chopped
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
For the citrus dressing
- juice from half an orange (about 2-3 tbsp juice)
- juice from one lemon (about 2-3 tbsp juice)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp dijon or grainy mustard
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Make the dressing by combining all of the citrus dressing ingredients and whisk together or shake together in a mason jar or container.
- Add the cabbage to a bowl or salad platter and drizzle about half of the dressing over top, massage the dressing into the cabbage, using salad spoons to kind of mix it / press the dressing into the cabbage.
- Add the cooked quinoa, walnuts, prunes and the rest of the dressing and toss to combine. Top with blue cheese and cilantro and serve. Taste and adjust with more salt and pepper if desired.
- If you don’t have maple syrup, you can substitute with honey in the dressing.
- You can also use orange juice from the can or carton in the dressing instead of fresh-squeezed.
- This salad would also be delicious served as a side dish for a barbecue dinner.
- Not a fan of blue cheese? Try feta or goat cheese.