California Prunes Chicken Salad
Ah, the festive season, where every whiff of nostalgia brings back memories of cozy gatherings and the comforting aromas wafting from the kitchen. Growing up in Eastern Europe, prunes were like little jewels that sparkled in our holiday dishes – be it hearty stews, vibrant salads, or grandma’s special cakes. There’s something magical about the way prunes seamlessly blended into our family recipes, adding a sweet and earthy touch that made each bite feel like a warm hug. Now, as we gear up for another holiday season, I’m bringing those cherished memories to life with a modern twist – the California Prunes Chicken Salad Stack.
Recipe by Olya Sa @urbansizzle
- 2 cooked chicken breasts
- 1 cup (250ml) pitted California Prunes
- 1/2 English cucumber
- 4 boiled eggs
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup (60ml) crumbled walnuts
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) chopped fresh parsley
- Place California Prunes in a bowl and cover them with hot water. Let them soak and plump up while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Finely chop the cooked chicken breasts and the English cucumber. Peel the boiled eggs and separate the yolks from the whites. Set aside the yolks and chop the whites.
- Once the prunes have soaked, drain them and pat them dry. Slice them finely.
- Assemble the stack by placing two culinary rings on a plate. If you don’t have rings, you can layer the ingredients in a bowl lined with plastic wrap and invert it onto a plate at the end.
- Start with a layer of chopped chicken, followed by a thin layer of mayonnaise, evenly spread. Add cucumber, another layer of mayo, and pack it down. Follow with egg whites and prunes, and another mayo layer. Finish with a layer of chopped walnuts.
- Grate the reserved egg yolks on top as a colourful finishing touch. Sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley.
- Enjoy your California Prunes Chicken Salad.