- 1 loaf of sourdough bread cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups California Prunes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 bunches of fresh herbs such as: Parsley, sage, thyme, basil and or oregano
- 6-8 Italian sausages, casings removed, crumbled
- 5 celery stalks, chopped
- 5 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Preheat oven to 350°F or 175°C. Cut bread into pieces and bake on a baking sheet until dried but not browned, about 15 minutes.
- While the bread cooks- bring stock to a light boil in a medium saucepan.
- Add sausage meat to a large high-sided skillet over medium-high heat until almost cooked through. Then add: onions, carrots and celery. cook for 3- five minutes. add chopped California Prunes and freshly chopped herbs, plus salt and pepper as needed and saute for another 5-8 minutes.
- Transfer dried bread to a casserole dish and add the sausage mixture. toss and add bouillon until all the liquid is absorbed and bread is softened and sausage + California Prune mixture is evenly incorporated through. Dot with butter and cook at 350°F for 30 minutes