California Prune, Parmesan and Cabbage Ravioli
Recipe by Maddy Goldberg (@maddygoldberg)
Indulge in the perfect blend of sweet and savoury with this fall-inspired ravioli. This filling is unique, delicious, and unbelievably well balanced thanks to the sticky texture and hints of natural sweetness from the California Prunes. The ideal dish to enjoy on a cold fall or winter evening!
For the dough:
- 100 g (3.53 oz) rye flour
- 300 g (10.58 oz) all-purpose flour
- 200 ml (3/4 cup and 1 tbsp) water
For the filling:
- ¼ green cabbage very thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp (15mL) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) onion or leek, finely diced
- ½ cup (125 mL) grated parmesan
- ½ cup (125 mL) California Prunes, finely diced
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ tsp (1.25 mL) nutmeg
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
Make the dough:
- Combine ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook.
- Knead on medium speed for 10 minutes. Cover and let rest for 1 hour.
Make the filling:
- Fill a large pot with water and set over high heat until boiling.
- Once boiling, add cabbage and cook for 3 minutes. Strain then set aside in fridge.
- Add vegetable oil to a medium sauté pan and place over low heat.
- Add onion to pan and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until just beginning to brown.
- Transfer cooked onion and boiled cabbage to a large bowl.
- Add parmesan, California Prunes, egg yolk, nutmeg, and salt. Stir until combined.
Form the ravioli:
- Using a pasta roller, roll dough until very thin (#5 on most pasta machines).
- Place 1 tbsp sized dollops of filling onto the center of the pasta sheet, about 2 inches apart.
- Working from the long end of the pasta sheet, grab the edge furthest from you and bring towards you, this should encase the filling.
- Fold over and seal the dough overtop of filling.
- Using a pasta wheel, cut between each ravioli to create rectangle raviolis.
- Boil immediately or freeze on parchment lined tray if you are cooking later.
Cook the ravioli:
- Place raviolis in boiling water and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Strain. Transfer to a plate and serve with melted butter, parmesan, chives, and cracked pepper. Enjoy!