California Prune and Apple Crumble
A dessert that is both comforting and nutritious thanks to its’ superfood ingredient, California Prunes! You’ll love this delicious twist on a classic apple crumble. The pairing of a tart apple with an earthy California Prune makes this the perfect serving after a meal with good company. Create this delicious and refreshing California Prunes and Apple crumble for your summer weekend binge.
- 2 cups of California Prunes, pitted and roughy chopped
- 6 granny Smith Apples, cored and cut into large chunks
- 1 tbsp of cinnamon
- 1 pinch of allspice
- 1/4 cup of butter
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- Zest of 1/2 an orange
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Place a large non stick frying pan onto medium heat
- Melt the 1/4 cup of butter (from the “filling” ingredients) in the pan and add in the apples.
- Stir the apples to coat with the melted butter.
- Once apples are slightly soft add in the brown sugar and stir to coat again.
- Once the brown sugar has melted add in the cinnamon, allspice and vanilla.
- Add in the prunes, stir to combine and coat again and set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, combine all the “crumble” ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix with your hands working the ingredients between your fingers so the mix becomes a rough and ragged dough.
- Transfer the apple mixture to an oven safe dish and top with the crumble mixture.
- Bake for 20-30 min or until the crumble topping is golden brown and bubbly.
- Serve piping hot with a good vanilla ice cream and enjoy!