Asian Chicken and California Prunes Lettuce Wraps
Lettuce wraps are our go-to quick dinner for busy weeknights. Just sauté chicken breast with Asian-inspired seasonings and wrap in lettuce – it’s that simple! They’re protein-packed and wrapping with lettuce and topping with extra veggies means you’re getting plenty of veggies in a way that even kids will love. Chopped California Prunes add a rich sweetness to the filling that’s similar to the flavor of traditional hoisin or plum sauce, but without all the additional sugar and sodium. The sesame green beans on the side add even more savory, satisfying flavor and veggies to round out the meal!
- ½ inch fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 green onions
- 6 oz green beans
- ½ Persian cucumber
- 1 radish
- 3oz California Prunes
- 2 cooked chicken breasts
- 1 lime
- 1½ tsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp teriyaki sauce
- ½ tsp tamari sauce
- 3 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1½ tsp sesame oil
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 head butter lettuce
- Peel and finely chop the ginger.
- Thinly slice the garlic cloves and green onions.
- Cut the ends off of the green beans and discard ends.
- Cut the radish and HALF the cucumber into thin matchsticks.
- Chop the prunes into 1⁄4-inch diced pieces, add to a medium bowl. Shred the chicken into 2-inch pieces and add to the bowl with the prunes.
- Cut the lime in half.
- In a small bowl, combine the rice wine vinegar, teriyaki sauce, tamari sauce, the juice from HALF of the lime, and 1½ tsp sesame seeds.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of sesame oil in a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add HALF of the green onions and HALF of the ginger and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the diced prunes and chicken mixture and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the teriyaki and tamari mixture, and sauté until liquid is evaporated.
- Remove the mixture from heat; set aside for plating.
- Carefully wipe the sauté pan clean and return to medium-high heat.
- Add remaining sesame oil and increase heat to high.
- When hot, add the green beans and a pinch of salt.
- Cook for 2 minutes, turning and moving beans so they cook quickly and evenly.
- Add remaining ginger, and 1 tablespoon of water and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute or until beans are crisp-tender. Stir in remaining sesame seeds.
- Keeping the leaves whole, separate the lettuce leaves.
- Divide the lettuce leaves evenly between two plates.
- Fill each leaf with the chicken mixture and garnish with the cucumbers, radishes, and remaining green onions.
- Serve the lettuce wraps with the green beans.